The path to success often means MORE. More health, more money, more time with family, more promotions, more holidays, more ‘more’.
Our society seems to relentlessly push us to want more and need more. “Do more with less” is a common mantra in today’s businesses, cutbacks in staff means to continue on the path of ‘getting ahead’ you simply need to put your head down, nose to the grindstone and work harder. All in the name of more. However, there is another side.
If you surveyed a group of people, and asked them for one word that describes success, they will come up with terms such as (examples in brackets):
- Progress (taking steps towards, see/feel improvement)
- Achieve (promotion, salary rise, award)
- Gain (knowledge, skills, health)
- Grow (confidence, talents, relationships)
- Acquire (insights, partnerships, tools)
Any of those terms could apply to your health, finances, spirituality, business or career, and relationships. “If it’s not growing, it’s dying” as the saying goes.
All of those points are true, accurate, and an important part of any success equation. But there is an equally important, equally powerful yet commonly overlooked part of the success equation.
Often, on our road to our own success, we reach a point where not only do we need to continue to acquire, but we also need to let go.
The flip side of the terms listed above are all incredibly important for you to continue on your journey to fulfilment and satisfaction:
- Let go
You got to where you are by all your actions, attitudes, beliefs and values you’ve adopted over the years. However, to get to where you want to go and be in your life, sometimes (…more than you realise) you need to let some things die.
For example, beliefs that no longer serve you, habits that hold you back, relationships that prevent your progress.
By embracing the ‘letting go’ side of success and deciding what you no longer need to hold on to in order to achieve your ambitions and desires, you will be liberated.
Take the following 3-minute audit now and decide what you should let go of today, in order to truly fulfil your potential, achieve your goals, or simply make a bit more progress every day.
Think of one area of your life where you are striving for more success than you are currently experiencing. Here are seven questions to help you to take action now:
- What is holding you back from making more progress, quicker progress, easier progress?
- What are your beliefs about what it takes to make the progress you want?
- Are all those beliefs true? Are you sure?
- What are your daily habits that might feel good or helpful in some way but don’t fully allow you to make the progress you want?
- What is more important to you—making progress towards your goals, or staying where you are?
- What is more risky for your long term success and fulfilment—moving forward despite the fear or feelings of discomfort, or staying trapped in your comfort zone?
- What is one thing you no longer need to have (extra plate of food?), do (constantly multi-task?), or be (a worrier?) in order to achieve your outcome?
Answer those questions now and it will become clear what you need to leave behind in order to really achieve the level of success you desire…and the success you deserve.
Leave a comment below to let us know what you’d like to let go, or where you’d like some additional suggestions on how to make this part of the success equation work for you.